"Sans is Ness" is an ironic reference to "Game Theory: UNDERTALE - Sans's SECRET Identity!", a controversial episode of the YouTube series Game Theory by Internet personality MatPat about the supposed secret identity of the character Sans from the video game Undertale.
Welcome to Game Theory Edit
Matthew Robert Patrick (born November 15, 1986), commonly known by the nickname MatPat, is the creator of several popular YouTube channels. His biggest channel is The Game Theorists, with its flagship web series called Game Theory. Co-created and narrated by MatPat himself, Game Theory showcases theories about various aspects of well-known video games, including speculations about hidden messages and subtexts allegedly present in video game lore. Since its debut on April 18, 2011, 205 episodes of Game Theory have been published. The Game Theorists' YouTube channel has since amassed over nine million subscribers on YouTube, with the majority of Game Theory episodes having a like ratio of around 96 to 99 percent.
Despite the popularity and success of Game Theory, many are also critical of the show and MatPat. One common criticism is that the show presents theories and claims without providing enough evidence or research to support them. (i.e. "Why Mario is Mental", "Mario is Communist?", "Wario is ten feet tall")
Just a Theory Edit
On February 9, 2016, an episode titled "Game Theory: UNDERTALE - Sans's SECRET Identity!" was uploaded to the Game Theorists YouTube channel. In this video, MatPat postulated that Sans from Undertale is Ness, the protagonist of the game EarthBound (or more specifically, the version of Ness from Earthbound: Halloween Hack, a hack of EarthBound created by Toby Fox, the creator of Undertale). This episode was widely criticized and mocked for making far-fetched conclusions, having logical errors, and ignoring evidence that didn't support the theory. As a result, it's currently the tenth-most disliked episode of Game Theory to date with a like ratio of 90.9 percent.
On February 4, 2017, nearly a year after the Sans is Ness Episode, an episode titled "Game Theory: Who is W.D. Gaster? (Undertale)" was uploaded, explaining another theory about the identity of the character W.D. Gaster. At the start of the video, MatPat addresses criticisms of the Sans is Ness Theory in the episode, arguing that it was just a fun exercise for him and that he never truly believed it himself nor expected it to be taken that seriously.
But Hey Edit
- Using Undertale tunes in EarthBound rips, and vice versa.
- More specifically, using "Megalovania" (which is associated with Sans) and "Onett" (which is associated with Ness).
- Having Undertale tracks segue into EarthBound tunes and vice versa in medley rips.
- Using Game Theory's theme tune ("Science Blaster" by SpellingPhailer).
- Featuring excerpts from "Game Theory: UNDERTALE - Sans's SECRET Identity!", as well as excerpts from other episodes of Game Theory.
- The appearance of the personified character version of the meme, referred to as Sens.
Hello Internet Edit
- The Game Theorists' YouTube channel
- "Game Theory: UNDERTALE - Sans's SECRET Identity!" – The episode of Game Theory in question.
- "Game Theory: Why I Gave the Pope UNDERTALE!" – another infamous episode of Game Theory related to Undertale.
- "SpellingPhailer - Science Blaster" – The full version of the Game Theory theme song.
- "Game Theory: Who is W.D. Gaster? (Undertale)" – A video where MatPat discusses criticism of the Sans is Ness theory.